Population and Vital Statistics - Republic of Mauritius
January – June 2012
1. As at 1st July 2012, the population of the Republic of Mauritius stood at 1,291,456 representing an increase of 5,116 persons and a growth rate of 0.4% over the population of 1,286,340 at 1st July 2011.
2. Islandwise, the population as at 1st July 2012 was as follows:
Island of Mauritius 1,253,000
Island of Rodrigues 38,167
Other islands 289
3. The population density of the Republic of Mauritius was around 633 persons per square kilometre as at 1st July 2012.
4. The number of live births registered during the first semester of 2012 was 7,429, i.e., 3 live births less than that registered in the period January to June 2011. Some 14,760 live births are forecast for the year 2012. The crude birth rate will be 11.4 in 2012 (same as in 2011).
5. There were 4,512 deaths registered during the first six months of 2012, 120 more than that registered in the corresponding period in 2011. About 9,210 deaths are expected for the year 2012, resulting in a crude death rate of 7.1 (same as in 2011).
6. The number of infant deaths registered during the period January to June 2012 was 101 against 103 for the same period in 2011. About 195 infant deaths are forecast for the year 2012, resulting in an infant mortality rate of 13.2, against 12.9 in 2011.
7. The number of still births registered during the first half of 2012 was 74 compared to 73 for the same period in 2011. Around 147 still births are expected during the year 2012, resulting in a still birth rate of 9.9 compared to 9.4 in 2011.
8. The number of marriages registered from January to June 2012 was 4,595 compared to 4,913 for the same period in 2011. About 10,240 marriages are forecast for the year 2012. The crude marriage rate will be around 15.9 against 16.3 in 2011.